Named after Henry Miller's House, Fleetwood, the high ground about a mile northeast of Brandy Station became the center of a series of violent cavalry charges and countercharges during the battle on June 9, 1863. Fleetwood Hill changed hands several times in the course of the afternoon until finally Union General Alfred Pleasonton pulled his forces back across the Rappahannock River.
Confederates considered the action at Fleetwood Hill to be the centerpoint of the fight, and referred to the battle as the Battle of Fleetwood Hill. When the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected a monument to the battle in 1929 (photo lower right) they placed it at the crest of Fleetwood Hill.
The rest of the land around Fleetwood Hill is still private property today. However, two wayside markers overlook the hill from 0.4 mile to the east on land preserved by the Civil War Trust:
From the James Madison Highway (U.S. 15 & 29) at Brandy Station take Fleetwood Heights Road east about 0.5 mile from Alanthus Road to the wayside markers. Continue another 0.4 mile to the crest of Fleetwood Hill and the monument.
Fleetwood Heights Road contnues east another 0.75 mile to Cobb Legion Road, which connects with Beverly Ford Road, leading to the St. James Church and Buford's Knoll walkng trails.